Ahmet Gazi Mosque (Ulu Mosque) was built in1308 in the Old Cine Village of Cine. The mosque is one of the square-planned single-domed mosques which is one of the most important monuments of Menteseogulları Principality in Aydin. The minaret of the mosque was destroyed after the last congregation which is unique to Menteseogullari.
According to the historical documents, it is highly probable that the mosque was built during the period of Mentesoglu Orhan Bey by his son Hizir Bey. However in the second half of the XIV. century, the mosque was restored and revived by Mentesoglu Ibrahim Bey’s son Ahmet Gazi Bey (who became Mentese Bey in 1366, passed away in 1390). (Death of his father Ibrahim Bey is 1358)
Ahmet Gazi Mosque is the largest domed mosque of its period.
This is the oldest known mosque in Aydin. It is also one of the first Turkish monuments in Western Anatolia and has a square area of 400 m2 and a wall thickness of 1.70 meters.
The mosque has the characteristics of typical principality period in almost every aspect. The walls are built of rubble stones on cut stones. It has undergone numerous renovations. The first renovation which was by Ahmet Gazi Bey is in the second half of the XIV. As it is a foundation work, the General Directorate of Foundations had these repair works done. The mosque’s architecture has changed due to its extensive renovations. This change, especially on the exterior is very easy to see even with the naked eye. It has a square plan and a single volume. Outside there is no final congregation and portico-style structures. According to the period, there is a very large dome structure of 17 meters. The dome has two stages on the top of the pulley and twelve edges. This dome reflects the transition from the Principalities Period to the Ottoman Period architecture. Windows; four in the upper section, one in each direction, and nine in the lower section (three in the west, two in the other fronts). There are two entrances, one in the north and the other in the east. The adjacent “Ladder Minaret” in the eastern part of the mosque was first demolished and destroyed.
The elimination of this kind of staircase minaret is an interesting situation which did not find much application in Principalities Period. On the upper part of the northern entrance is the mahfil. It is used for climbing on the staircases on both sides of the mahfil built on wooden posts. There is a south protrusion in the middle of the cave. The wooden carved pulpit of the mosque was built as openwork carvings. Stylized plant motifs on the edges and verses on the railings are carved. Various geometric shapes were used in the patterns. The inner walls of the mosque are covered with simple low-key plaster.